I like the Google User Experience Guidelines.
"The Google User Experience team aims to create designs that are
useful, fast, simple, engaging, innovative, universal, profitable,
beautiful, trustworthy, and personable."
1. Focus on people – their lives, their work, their dreams.
2. Every millisecond counts.
3. Simplicity is powerful.
4. Engage beginners and attract experts.
5. Dare to innovate.
6. Design for the world.
7. Plan for today’s and tomorrow’s business.
8. Delight the eye without distracting the mind.
9. Be worthy of people’s trust.
10. Add a human touch.
We could have a far worse 500lb gorilla, I must say.